19 January 2015

King or Queen for a Day

The Guardian is running a series, short essays where (more or less) well known personalities describe how they'd act if King or Queen for a day.
The most recent is by Lucy Worsley, historian and BBC TV presenter who'd send everyone off to their nearest castle, abbey or museum, or anywhere you can see the past for a practical history lesson. Read her royal commands, and why she thinks they'd be a good idea, here.

Other items in the series you may find of interest are linked from the middle column here.

Andrew Motion: If I were king for a day, I'd illuminate our natural beauty and the starry heaven above
Bruce Kent: If I were king for a day I'd have a maximum wage to curb the fat cats
Joanne Harris: If I were queen for a day I would burst the virtual bubble
Jack Monroe: If I were queen for a day I'd want silly hats and Nigel Farage in the Tower
Lizzy Yarnold: If I were queen for the day I would send children into the wilderness
Ann Widdecombe: If I were queen for a day I'd enforce an hour's silence on everyone
Hilary Devey: If I were queen for a day I would enforce old-age selfies for children
Amanda Palmer: If I were queen for a day, cuddles would be declared a weapon of mass affection
Jon Snow: If I were king for a day I'd ask everyone to abandon their car
Ben Okri: If I were king for a day, I'd slow life down to walking pace
Kwame Kwei-Armah: If I were king for a day, I'd end the blight of poverty
Maureen Lipman: If I were queen for a day, I'd give status handbags the handbag treatment
Simon Armitage: If I were king for a day I'd tattoo trolls with their own awful words
Jenni Murray: If I were queen for a day, I'd abolish sex education
Alan Johnson: If I were king for a day, I would ban Coca-Cola
Kathy Lette: If I were queen for a day, female equality would become reality
Jeremy Paxman: If I were king for a day, I would ban open-plan offices

Thanks to Brenda Turner for the tip.

No comments: